Let Me Count the Ways
by M. Lizabeth Currain
That this day was painful.
1. Lack of sleep. For the life of me, I could not get to sleep last night. It was like my brain wouldn’t turn off and I just kept thinking about everything I need to get done, things that I wish would happen, etc. I tried counteracting it by counting. It doesn’t work.
2. It’s raining. By the time I got to work, my feet were soaked.
3. At work, there are a million things to get done. One of the girls that I work with has been out of the office since last Thursday. I’m only there part time. My boss came over and felt it necessary to point out, “These books sure are piling up. Better start sending them out before people start griping.” REALLY? I hadn’t noticed that there were over 70 books that needed to be input into the database and sent out to reviewers. I thought they were for show. You pointing it out, isn’t going to make it get done any faster, especially when people keep adding to the piles and keep giving me other projects that they need completed that second.
4. My lunch sucked. It was a sandwich the size of a playing card and carrots. I need my time back so I can cook meals with leftovers!
5. On my way to class, after work, I almost slipped out of my shoe because they were so wet. I ended up buying a plain black pair of flats.
6. I bought a plain black pair of flats at Urban Outfitters. I try not to spend money there, because they rejected me for a design job.
7. My Tuesday class…I don’t even know what to say about it. I’m not so sure it’s going to be useful.
8. The Q train stopped on the bridge for about 20 minutes.
9. It took almost an hour to get home.
10. I have homework due on Thursday that I only half understand and so far, only half completed.
11. I was supposed to read 70 pages for tomorrow’s class, but I still haven’t gotten that book in the mail yet.
12. I’m still waiting for that guy to email me back!
13. Well, we got to the point where we agreed to hang out again on Saturday. But he hasn’t emailed me back about a time or a place!
14. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?